Papercraft Objects


Over these 2 weeks, I created the final version of my wii remote papercraft


For the final version of my wii remote, I first started by figuring out what changes I needed to make to the prototype to get a better end result. I stumbled upon this photo of these cool stylized wii remotes and decided that I was going to use the Princess Peach themed one as inspiration for the colour of my own. 


I also decided to split the wii remote into two parts. This was mainly for two reasons; A) the Peach remote was separated into two different shades of pink and B) the wii remote actually has a noticeable line of separation between the top and bottom half. It also just made it easier to construct to be honest. I decided to cut out the cross and "A" button from the top base and connect them from the inside as suggested in the critic session. I reduced the smaller buttons purely to flat pieces rather than trying to fold them. 



I started with the bottom base. Because I sorta like the process of cutting and scoring, I decided to try and do everything by hand. It was a little difficult (and at times the laser would definitely have been better 😭) but for I had fun with it most of the time. That being said, I did have to make atleast 2 versions of each base before I made a good one. I was worried about how the curve of the bottom of the bottom base would fold, but with a LOT of patience I got it to curve super well and I was pretty happy with that.
Here was my top base with the cross button put in. The cross button was such a pain, did not have fun trying to get that thing to fold together. But actually I think that the final result looks pretty good. Though I had to sacrifice the idea of actually having pushable buttons, I like how it really looks like you could push it down. 


After I finished putting everything on the top, I glued it to the bottom to get the final result. 




Overall, I really like how it turned out. My only main issues with it are the "A" button and the little speaker holes. While the "A" button could definitely be worse (my first attempt did not go so well), its also a bit deformed and lacks clean folding. It was insanely difficult to fold a button that small together, and while I don't think it looks too too bad on the final design, it does stand out as less refined as the rest of it which bothers me a little. The speaker holes are also a bit messy, I might have overestimated my xacto knife skills there. But even with all that being said, I think its really cute and I had a lot of fun designing and crafting it (when I wasn't folding those dumb buttons)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objectified Response

Remix Project

Paper Folding