Paper Prototype (official)

 This week we were tasked with making a prototype of our paper project to practice getting the form and details of our form right. For this, I am designing a Wii remote (as I'm sure is evident by my other posts lolol)


I started off by taking the base model I designed last week and added the buttons that I was planning to add. Then I proceeded to unroll everything and prepared it for printing. 





Unfolded buttons 
*Some of the buttons in this page specifically are way too big. I did resize them but theyre still a little big on the prototype. I will fix this for the official model, however I struggled a lot to fold the smaller buttons so they may have to remain oversized in order to keep their form.
Constructing the base! Went fairly well, except for the top sides. I realized I screwed up the way it should fold together a little so again I will fix that later on. I used the blunt backside of some tweezers to score the paper and it worked super well. 

Final Model! As you can see, the buttons are very big. Some of them are also a little misshaped. I had a lot of trouble trying to fold such small buttons, even though I just used printer paper. I might alter some tabs to try and make it easier to fold, or maybe as a last resort I'll just make the whole design larger. I also drew on the details for now, I'm not sure if we have to make them out of paper but I plan on doing it anyways since I think it'll make it look more refined. It's hard to get a straight line on a hollow button. 



Side view. It's easier to see some of the mistakes I made here then it is at the top. I'll have to ensure the final design looks good at all angles. You can also see where I went wrong on the top base side. But the rest of the base looks pretty good I was proud of that. 

Heres a little demonstration of how the buttons sorta work. For now to represent the idea, I just taped on the buttons so they stuck out and you can press them. Not sure if we can use tape either, but if not I can make the same concept out of paper loops. I think in this prototype it worked best with the "A" button, since it's much larger. 

In the end, I think this gave me a good idea of how the final model will be and what I need to change to make it more polished. The prototype is a little messy and definitely has some issues, but I like it as a practice model. Has a very cute crafty look to it. I also hope to add some more colour and design to the final model to make it look more interesting. I want it to have the model design of a convention wii remote with an unconventional exterior design












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objectified Response

Remix Project

Paper Folding