Paper Prototype (PRACTICE)

I'm not entirely sure if we had to blog this but I've done it now and I think it's a fun record of my progress ٩(˘◡˘)۶
 
For my paper replica, I chose the main base of the wii remote to model. I thought this was the most important component to experiment with since it is most of the design.
For the first step, modeling the remote, I actually didn't have as much trouble as last time. This version is definitely better then the last one and unfolded into a more functional form that can be easily refolded.
Unfolding also went smoothly. For some reason last time I was stuck in the idea that the unfolded version had to be one connected piece, which definitely screwed me up for a few designs. Here the triangle ends meshed with the small triangle folds below it so I separated them. It's not shown in this photo, but I realized that the small corner rectangles (on the right of design) had to come off too, so they are also separated as shown in later photos.
The unfolded design made into 2D
Unfolded 2D design with tabs. I definitely put in way too many tabs. I had trouble visualizing how this thing would fold back together so I just put tabs on almost every side. I printed out my model later on to see which tabs were necessary and which were not (and I'll come back to it when discussing the model) 
Things were going so good until they weren't :(. I ran into a roadblock when trying to create the 8.5 by 11 paper for my design because when I put the dimensions into the rectangle function it just kept making this tiny box? I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with it, I specified inches, then tried the measurements in mm but it just kept making this tiny box. I even tried creating a new project in inches (since we use mm by default) but it still made the box tiny. Hopefully I will resolve this in class.
For now I've just taken the small box and scaled it way up so the dimensions should be the same. I also had some issues with the offsetting so I eyeballed that so it might be a tiny bit off. The folding lines are also set to hidden here
Design as it appears printed on paper
Tada! Practice model. I think it actually looks pretty cool and I'm happy with the overall shape. It definitely has some unnecessary tabs, but honestly they were helpful for this printer paper model since it's incredibly flimsy. I'm sure it'll hold up much better with cardstock. For the actual prototype, I'll probably make tab adjustments as well as maybe some size adjustments. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objectified Response

Remix Project

Paper Folding